Tuesday, February 7, 2012

I believe that the majority of my happiness comes from outside circumstances because of how much my happiness depends on the activities I participate in. On days I don't have dance or play practice (which are few and far between), or I don't get enough sleep, I find I am miserable regardless of how the rest of my day went. I am rarely happy simply because I feel happy or because of internal circumstances. I am more commonly either looking forward to, or dreading, an event later in my day. This event, good or bad, will set the tone for the rest of my day. Generally speaking the only two activities that will consistently make me happy, and probably the biggest two outside influences on my happiness, are dance or play practice. As a result I try to include these two activities in my schedule as much as possible. Unfortunately, these activities, particularly play practice, are not very stable sources of happiness due to their ever changing schedules. For example, this happens to be "hell week" for the student directed shows, which I am a part of. What this means is we have long, intense rehearsals every day after school, which make me very happy. However, this also means that by next Monday, the shows will be over, and I will not have any rehearsals until the next season starts. I am dreading weeks I will have leading up to the next shows because I am sure I will have a difficult time finding happiness on a day to day basis. I believe that deriving my happiness from internal circumstances is a skill I should work on so I am not miserable between seasons or activities. Hopefully I will eventually not be as dependent on my schedule for happiness as I am now.

No comments:

Post a Comment