Wednesday, February 1, 2012

I do not personally believe that I would enter the machine. Simply based on the concept of the machine and what it would potentially do I believe anyone would be happy once inside. The machine would make your brain believe you were happy and so you would be, but any and all emotions you feel in the machine are fake even if they don't seem that way. The same is true for any experiences you would have in the machine, know matter how real they may feel they are not. You would not actually be in love or contributing to humanity, and it is for this reason i don't believe I would enter the machine. I would not want to give up any possibility of actually having a positive impact on the world for engineered bliss, know matter how realistic it may seem. I don't believe that I would have lived a happy life if I had not left the world a better way than I had arrived on it. Know matter how small or seemingly insignificant, I would want to have made an impact on the world. I would never get to do this if I were trapped inside the machine, even if I believed that I was.

The concept of being trapped inside the machine would also be a compelling reason not to enter it. Even though I may be blissfully happy, simply knowing that it was not in my power to decide if I could ever leave would be distressing to me. I would not want to trap myself inside the machine for the rest of my life, regardless of how the device could make me feel. I believe that this reaction to knowing any emotion would be fake even if it felt real and the idea of being trapped reveals that humans want to be able to control their destiny and potential happiness for better or for worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment